Misophonia Treatment

The International Misophonia Research Network (IMRN).


What is the Best Treatment for Misophonia?

We do not have an approved therapy or medication for misophonia yet. There are only  a small number of studies, and none of them include follow up.

However, this does not mean that we are without a great deal of hope.

There are different kinds of therapists who can offer support, and teach you physiological and mental strategies to help you cope with misophonia. You can lead a productive life while we gain ground with research. However, you should be wary of anyone who claims they have “the cure” or who promises high success rates for misophonia treatment until more research is done and we have more evidence!   

Which is the Best Kind of Therapist? 

“Therapist” is a generic term for any practitioner (audiologist, psychologist, occupational therapist,etc.). He or she may have a masters or a doctorate. It’s up to you to decide what suits your (or your child’s) needs at this time. However, always feel free to contact us for advice.

What is an Audiologist?

Traditionally, audiologists have been allowed to practice with a master’s degree. However,  students entering audiology programs in the near future will obtain doctoral degrees. An audiologist with proper training may help by evaluating if you have misophonia. However, there is no approved  “test” for misophonia yet and it is not in any diagnostic manual.  Audiologists may provide you with personal earplugs that may or may not generate non-offending noise to mask the noises that bother you.

What are Counselors and Psychologists? 

Most counselors have master’s degrees, but some have doctoral degrees. Most psychologists have a doctorate, as it is required in order to use the term “psychologist”.Some cognitive psychologists feel that misophonia should be classified under Obsessive Compulsive and Related Disorders (previously termed “OCD” in the DSM-IV-TR)  in the DSM-5.  While there may be neurological and behavioral overlaps, there is no compelling evidence that this overlap exists, or that OCD treatment will help misophonia patients. Please see here.

What is a Psychiatrist? 

Psychiatrists can prescribe medication to treat symptoms and conditions that may accompany misophonia (such as anxiety, insomnia, feelings of rage/fear/depression, etc.). However, there are no medications that have been tested or considered for misophonia.

There are some studies done at Duke University at the Edward Levin Lab that are related to general sensory over-responsivity (which includes the symptoms of misophonia). However, this work ended due to a lack of funding. For more information about this, please contact Jennifer@misophoniainternational.com

What is a Neurologist?

A neurologist is a medical doctor (MD) who specializes in disorders that affect the brain, the spine, and the nerves, such as Epilepsy, migraines, Alzheimer’s and Tourette’s (as some examples). Neurologists and psychiatrists may sometimes overlap, as they can both treat  psychiatric conditions. However, neurologists treat  a broader range of disorders.  Anyone who has a sudden onset of changes in mood or sensory perception should see a neurologist to rule out other disorders. People often confuse neurologists with neuroscientists. Neurologists are MDs; they went through medical school. Neuroscientists are also doctors, but they are Ph.D.s, not Medical Doctors. Neuroscientists study the brain.




Scroll Up